Verisign Privacy Statement
Version 2.5 - Effective May 5, 2016
VeriSign, Inc. (“Verisign”) has developed this Privacy Statement to inform you about our privacy practices for the verisign.com website and any other Verisign websites that direct you to this Privacy Statement (the “Covered Sites”).
If you have questions or complaints regarding our Privacy Statement or privacy practices, please use one of the options listed in the “CONTACT VERISIGN” section at the end of this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement will inform you of:
- What personal information we gather about you when you are browsing our Covered Sites.
- How we use and with whom we share the personal information we gather.
- Your ability to opt out of future notifications.
- What security procedures we have in place to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, or alteration.
- How you can correct or update your personal information.
Use of verisign.com or any of the other Covered Sites constitutes your consent to the terms of our Privacy Statement. Whenever you submit information via our Covered Sites, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Please note that our Covered Sites contain links to other unaffiliated third party websites. Verisign is not responsible for the privacy practices, privacy statements, or content contained in or regarding these other unaffiliated third party websites that do not include this Privacy Statement.
II. PERSONAL INFORMATION
There are a few ways in which you may explicitly and intentionally provide us with and consent to our collection of certain personal information:
- Overall use of our Covered Sites. When you use our Covered Sites, we reserve the right to collect information about how the Covered Sites are being used in order to improve the performance of our Covered Sites and make our Covered Sites more useful to individuals. The information we collect during this activity is not individually identifiable, and is used solely to improve the performance of our Covered Sites, unless otherwise identified in this Privacy Statement.
- Email Request for Information or Registrations for Guides or Seminars. We may include links throughout our Covered Sites to provide you with the opportunity to contact us via email to ask questions, request information and materials, register or sign up for guides or seminars, or provide comments and suggestions. We collect the contact information you provide in order to respond to your requests. You may also be offered the opportunity to have one of our representatives contact you personally to provide additional information about our products or services. To do so, we may request additional personal information from you, such as your name and telephone number, to help us satisfy your request.
- Enrollment of Services. If you use or access one of our Covered Sites to enroll or otherwise subscribe to one of our product or service offerings, we will request certain information from you. You may be asked to provide different personal information (such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card number, bank account information, IP address, and/or Social Security number).
In addition to the personal information identified above, we use "cookies" and other statistical and tracking technologies as described in this Section in connection with the operation of our Covered Sites. A cookie is a piece of information that our Covered Sites send to your browser, which then stores this information on your system. Other statistical and tracking technologies, such as web beacons, clear gifs, HTTP headers, also work in ways that collect information about your visit and use of our Covered Sites. We may use both temporary and persistent cookies based on the cookie’s purpose. Some cookies are deleted when you close down your browser. These are known as session cookies. Others remain on your device until they expire or you delete them from your cache. These are known as persistent cookies and enable us to remember things about you as a returning visitor to our Covered Sites.
We use these technologies in four ways:
- To provide a service: A cookie may be used to provide you with a specific service. For instance, if you request our Covered Sites to remember your login password or remember your profile in a response to a blog post, we deposit a cookie on your computer to facilitate that service. If you are logging into an access-controlled section of our Covered Sites, we set a temporary session cookie to establish that you have been authenticated. The information contained in these cookies consists of random data that is used by our server to authenticate the browser requests to the server for that particular session. These cookies do not include any type of personal information. This bit of information is erased when you close your current browser window. If you choose not to accept a temporary cookie, you will not be able to navigate in these online applications. We also use a cookie when you visit our Covered Sites and request documentation or a response from us. When you are filling out a form, you may be given the option of having our Covered Sites deliver a cookie to your local hard drive. You might choose to receive this type of cookie in order to save time in filling out forms and/or revisiting our Covered Sites. We only send this type of cookie to your browser when you have clicked on the box labeled "Please remember my information" or another box with an equivalent content when submitting information or communicating with us.
- To understand our visitors: When you visit our Covered Sites, our systems may automatically collect statistics in aggregate about visitor behavior. We may monitor statistics and other data such as how many people visit our site, the user's IP address, which pages people visit, how users interact with page content, from which domains our visitors come, which browsers people use and how they move about our Covered Sites. We use this data about your visit for aggregation purposes only. These statistics are used to help us to understand our visitors’ interests and improve the content and performance of our Covered Sites. If you come to our site from one of our business partners, our web server may also send your browser a temporary cookie that reflects an origination code for that business partner. We use this information for statistical and marketing purposes.
We also use a cookie when we track traffic patterns on our Covered Sites. Analysis of the collected information by our tracking technologies allows us to improve our Covered Sites and the user experience. If you choose not to accept a persistent cookie, you will still be able to use our Covered Sites. Even if you choose to receive this type of cookie, you can always set your browser to notify you when you receive any cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it in each situation in which one is sent. We may supplement this unidentified user data with other data to better understand our users. For instance, we may relate a user’s IP address to the company to which it relates to better understand our visitors’ interests.
- To advertise: We may tailor our advertisements to certain users based on the unidentified user data and related information. Also, we may receive information on unidentified users’ movements on other websites to tailor advertisements to them on our Covered Sites and, likewise, provide unidentified user information to service providers, such as an ad agency, who places our advertisements on other websites to market to these users that visit them. You can opt out of this tracking by accessing the link below. You will need to invoke these opt-out procedures on each computer you use. If you opt out, you may still see Verisign advertisements on other websites you visit, but these ads are not user specific and are not placed because of your past visits to our Covered Sites.
To opt out of advertising which utilizes cookies, access the following link:
All major Internet browsers allow you to control cookies. You can learn more about adjusting browser controls at the following website: http://www.aboutcookies.org. (Note that Verisign does not control this website and is not responsible for its content. It is provided as information only. For the most current browser-specific information, please consult your browser’s manufacturer).
Do Not Track
We do not track our customers over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore we do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you.
If you are in the European Union, you may opt-out of certain third party cookies that we and other websites may use for targeting through http://www.youronlinechoices.eu or www.aboutads.info. Opting out of one or more ad networks only means that those particular members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will stop receiving any targeted content or ads on our Covered Sites or other third party websites. If your browser is configured to reject cookies when you visit one of the above referenced opt-out pages, and you later erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your preference may no longer be active. Since all of these cookies are managed by third parties, you should refer to the third parties' own website privacy notifications and policies for further information.
Can I withdraw my consent?
If you wish to withdraw your consent at any time, you will need to delete your cookies using your Internet browser settings, and disable cookies. Please note that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of our Covered Sites, and may prevent you from being able to access certain features on our Covered Sites.
IV. USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
If you respond in a blog forum on our Covered Sites, you should be aware that any personal information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these blog forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. Verisign is not responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these forums. You are also responsible for using these forums in a manner consistent with the Rules of Engagement or other terms and conditions set forth on the relevant forum website. Third-party social media buttons displayed on our Covered Sites may record your IP address, browser type and language, access time and referring website addresses. When you are logged in to those social media websites, they also may link this collected information with your profile information on that website. We do not control these third party tracking technologies.
V. HOW WE USE AND WITH WHOM WE SHARE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE GATHER
The personal information we gather from you is used and disclosed by us only as explained below.
A. Sending You Responses and Updates
We generally respond to any email questions, requests for product or service information, and other inquiries that we receive. We may also retain this correspondence to improve our products, services, and websites and for other disclosure purposes. Frequently we retain contact information so that we can send individuals updates or other important information about our services and products. Occasionally, these updates or other important information may be distributed by third parties on our behalf. Our subsidiary companies may also send you information about their services and products. In situations where you have supplied your information in connection with a question or request for information about a product or service offered by a Verisign business partner, we may also send the information you have supplied to the Verisign business partners that offer such products or services. Please be assured that these Verisign service providers and business partners have agreed to ensure the privacy and security of any transferred information and may only use the shared information to send you information about products or services about which you asked, or for sending updates or providing services on our behalf.
B. Facilitating the Support, Renewal, and Purchase of Our Products and Services
We may use the information you submit to contact you to discuss the support, renewal, and purchase of our products and services. We may also provide the information you have submitted to us to a Verisign subsidiary, business partner, or independent reseller (either within or outside the United States) so that the subsidiary, business partner, or independent reseller can contact you and facilitate the support, renewal, and purchase of Verisign products and services. You may receive a communication directly from one of our subsidiaries, business partners, or independent resellers. Please be assured that any subsidiary, business partner, or independent reseller who contacts you for one of these purposes has agreed to use the information we supply only in accordance with a confidentiality agreement. To find out the names and locations of the subsidiaries, business partners, and/or independent resellers to whom we have provided your information, please contact us at the address given at the end of this Privacy Statement.
C. Disclosure by Law and Protection of Verisign and Others
If we are required by law to disclose certain information to local, state, federal, national, or international government or law enforcement authorities, we will do so (for example, we may disclose the identity of purchasers of certain software products to the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Export Administration, as required under the terms of our export licenses). We will also disclose information to third parties as necessary in order to comply with applicable laws and regulations. In addition, Verisign may share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities or suspected fraud, or enforce or apply Verisign's agreements.
D. Whois Service
We are required under our agreements with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (“ICANN”) to offer a WHOIS service with respect to the top-level domains (such as .com, .net, and .name) for which we are the registry operator. The WHOIS service provides free public-query based access to domain name registration data submitted to Verisign by domain name registrars. In some instances, we are required to offer a “thick” or “extensive” WHOIS service that includes certain personal information associated with the registrants of domain names, including, but not limited to, the name, address, phone number, fax number and email address of the domain name registrant and the administrative and technical contacts for the domain name (collectively, the “WHOIS Data”). The WHOIS service is available to any user of the Internet and therefore the WHOIS Data submitted to Verisign by domain name registrars may be disclosed to third parties unassociated with Verisign or any of its business partners.
E. Business Transitions
Circumstances may arise where, whether for strategic or other business reasons, Verisign decides to sell, buy, merge, or otherwise reorganize businesses or business units in some countries. Such a transaction may involve the disclosure of personal information to prospective or actual purchasers, or the receipt of it from sellers. It is Verisign's practice to seek appropriate protection for information in these types of transactions.
From time to time, we may request information from customers via surveys. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose this information. Unless otherwise stated in the survey, survey information may be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use of and satisfaction with our Covered Sites, and improving our customer service and product offerings.
VI. YOUR ABILITY TO OPT OUT OF FURTHER NOTIFICATIONS
From time to time, we notify our subscribers of new products, announcements, upgrades, and updates. If you would like to opt out of being notified, please contact us at the address given at the end of this Privacy Statement. You can also change your preferences online. If you receive a marketing communication from our subsidiaries, business partners, social media providers or independent resellers, you should opt out with that entity directly.
VII. OUR SECURITY PROCEDURES
We consider the protection of all personal information we receive from our Covered Sites’ visitors and subscribers as critical to our corporate mission. We have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of any personal information we receive from you. As with any transmission over the Internet, however, there is always some element of risk involved in sending personal information. Our security procedures are subject to at least an annual SOC Type II audit by an internationally recognized accounting firm.
We will retain your information for as long as needed to provide you our products and services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
VIII. HOW YOU CAN UPDATE OR CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you would like to update, delete, or correct any personal information in our records, please contact us via email or at the address given at the end of this Privacy Statement.
IX. EMAIL THIS PAGE
If you use Verisign's "Email this page" feature to send a one-time a copy of a particular page on our Covered Sites that you are viewing to someone else, your email address will appear as the sender of the email. Both your email address and the recipient's email address will not be used for any other purpose.
X. CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
If a material change is made to this Privacy Statement and/or the way we use our customers' personal information, we will post prominent notice on our home page.
If You have questions or complaints about this Privacy Statement, you may contact us in the following ways:
- You can email us at email@example.com. Please specify "Privacy Statement" in the subject line of your email.
- You may also call us at +1 703-948-3350
- You may write to us at
Attention: Legal Department
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190